
In brief
- OpenAI is aiming for a September IPO with Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley as underwriters, the Wall Street Journal reported.
- Elon Musk’s lawsuit challenging the AI company’s structure and finances failed Monday.
- Secondary market share prices value the firm above $900 billion.
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman is reportedly aiming for a September initial public offering, accelerating plans after Elon Musk’s failed lawsuit removed a key obstacle to the AI company’s public market debut.
According to the Wall Street Journal, citing sources familiar with the plans, the AI company has engaged Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley to prepare IPO paperwork that could be filed confidentially with regulators within days or weeks—potentially as soon as this Friday. OpenAI has raised approximately $180 billion in funding, most recently at an $852 billion valuation.
Decrypt reached out to OpenAI for comment on the report, but did not immediately receive a response.
Private market shares trade at $735 on Forge Markets, rising more than 46% in the last three months and 120% in the last year, reflecting strong investor appetite. The selection of two blue-chip underwriters signals intent for a high-profile technology debut matching the company’s $906 billion private valuation per the secondary marketplace.
Crypto markets have already seen turbulence from unauthorized AI stock tokenization attempts. OpenAI and Anthropic PreStocks token prices fell sharply earlier this month after both firms issued warnings about unauthorized stock transfers, suggesting such shares could be worthless.
“All OpenAI equity is subject to transfer restrictions,” the firm said. “This means that OpenAI equity cannot be directly or indirectly transferred unless the seller first obtains OpenAI’s written consent. Any attempted transfer—which includes any pledge, encumbrance or other similar disposition—that does not follow this requirement is void.”
On Monday, jurors decided against Elon Musk in his $150 billion lawsuit against OpenAI and executives, declaring that the Tesla and SpaceX AI had been late in filing the legal challenge. Musk co-founded OpenAI in 2015, but departed in 2018 amid disputes over its original nonprofit structure.
The lawsuit challenged OpenAI’s transition to a for-profit entity, but now that the challenge has been dismissed, Altman’s firm is reportedly ready to take the next step with an IPO. Musk, however, said Monday on X that he plans to appeal the verdict.
“Regarding the OpenAI case, the judge and jury never actually ruled on the merits of the case, just on a calendar technicality,” Musk said. “There is no question to anyone following the case in detail that Altman and Brockman did in fact enrich themselves by stealing a charity. The only question is WHEN they did it!”
“I will be filing an appeal with the Ninth Circuit, because creating a precedent to loot charities is incredibly destructive to charitable giving in America,” he added. “OpenAI was founded to benefit all of humanity.”
Users on Myriad—a prediction market platform operated by Decrypt‘s parent company, Dastan—now believe that OpenAI will beat rival Anthropic to public markets, penciling in 73% odds as of this writing. Those odds flipped earlier Wednesday following the report.
Daily Debrief Newsletter
Start every day with the top news stories right now, plus original features, a podcast, videos and more.
